Polymer nanocomposites, Surface self-assembly, Surface Nanochemistry, Atomic Force Microscope mediated Nanolithography.The material nanochemistry laborator (MNL) is working on nanomaterials of metals, semiconductors, inorganic, organic, polymer, polymer composites and hybrid materials. The aim of the laboratory is to develop a comprehensive chemical methodology leading to a systematic bottom-up fabrication of nanoscale electronic devices.
M.Sc Delhi University (1998)
PhD from IIT Guwahati (2004)
Post-doc from Weizmann institute of Science, Israel (2004-2007)
2017 – till date Associate Professor -II, IASST
2013- 2016 Associate Professor -I, IASST
2009 – 2013 Assistant Professor -II, IASST
2008 – 2009 Assistant Professor -I, IASST
2009-2010 Visiting Scientist, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign 2008-2009
PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION, AWARDS, FELLOWSHIPS RECEIVED
- American Chemical Society Membership Award, 2015
- Indo-US Science and Technology Forum Fellowship (IUSSTF) 2009
- Young Scientist Award 2003 (Material Research Society of India, Kolkata Chapter)
- Senior Research Fellowship (CSIR, Govt. of India) 2002
- National Elegibility Test (NET-LS) 2000
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE )1999
Selected Publications ( Total Impact Factor = 180.56)
- Bio-synthesized silver nanoparticles using Zingiber officinale rhizome extract as efficient catalyst for the degradation of environmental pollutants, Kailash Barman, Devasish Chowdhury, and Pranjal K. Baruah, INORGANIC AND NANO-METAL CHEMISTRY 2020, 50(2), pp. 57-65 (I.F 0.685)
- Nano-Bioconjugate Film from Aloe vera To Detect Hazardous Chemicals Used in Cosmetics Ankita Deb, Rasna Saikia, and Devasish Chowdhury, ACS Omega, 2019, 4(23), 20394-20401. (I.F 2.584)
- Dual emission carbon dots from carotenoids: Converting a single emission to dual emission, Achyut Konwar, Ankita Deb, Archita Kar, Devasish Chowdhury, Luminescence. 2019; DOI: 10.1002/bio.3685 (I.F 1.691)
- Carbon dots derived from water hyacinth and their application as a sensor for pretilachlor, Manash Jyoti Deka , Parlie Dutta , Sewaljyoti Sarma, Okhil Kumar Medhi, N.C. Talukdar, Devasish Chowdhury, Heliyon 2019, 5, e01985.
- Graphene oxide clay nanocomposite as an efficient photo-catalyst for degradation of cationic dye Jahnabi Gogoi, Abhipsa Dev Choudhury, Devasish Chowdhury, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2019, 232, 438–445 (I.F 2.781)
- Hybrid Oleic Acid-Graphene Quantum Dot Vesicles for Drug Delivery, Jayanta S. Boruah and Devasish Chowdhury, ChemistrySelect 2019, 4, 4347 –4354 (I.F 1.716)
- Chitosan Based In-Situ and Ex-Situ Magnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles for Rapid Endotoxin Removal from Protein Solutions, Achyut Konwar, Devasish Chowdhury and Abhijit Dan Mater. Chem. Front., 2019, 3(4), 716-725.
- p-Type and n-type azobenzene nanocluster immobilized grphene oxide nanocomposite, Manash Jyoti Deka, Subham Kumar Sahoo and Devasish Chowdhury, Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2019, 272, 131-139. (I.F 3.261)
- Surface charge induced tuning of electrical properties of CVD assisted graphene and functionalized graphene sheets, Manash Jyoti Deka, Devasish Chowdhury, Journal of Materials Science & Technology 2019, 35, 151–158 (I.F 5.040)
- Approach To Fabricate a Compact Cotton Patch without Weaving: A Smart Bandage Material, Achyut Konwar, Raghuram Kandimalla, Sanjeeb Kalita, and Devasish Chowdhury, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 2018, 6, 5806−5817 (I.F 6.140)
- Carbon Dot based Fluorescence sensor for Retinoic acid, Sristi Majumdar, Tuhin Bhattacharjee, Debajit Thakur, and Devasish Chowdhury, ChemistrySelect 2018, 3, 673 –677 (I.F 1.505)
- Tuning the Wettability and Photoluminescence of Graphene Quantum Dots via Covalent Modification. Manash Jyoti Deka, Ananya Dutta, Devasish Chowdhury, New Journal of Chemistry, 2018, 42(1), 355-362. (I.F 3.269)
- Functionalized graphene oxide as an electrochemical sensing platform for detection of Bisphenol A, Upama Baruah and Devasish Chowdhury, Advanced Materials Letters, 2018, 9(7), 516-525. (I.F 1.46)
- Nanoemulsion of ginger Rhizome (Zingiber officinale) extract as a preservative for sweet lemon squash: An alternative to reduce the use of benzoic acid. Kailash Barman, Devasish Chowdhury and Pranjal K. Baruah, Int. J. Adv. Res. 2018, 6(5), 1116-1126.
- Tea-Carbon Dots-reduced Graphene Oxide: An Efficient Conducting Coating Material for Fabrication of E-Textile Achyut Konwar, Upama Baruah, Manash Jyoti Deka, Amreen Ara Hussain, Sultana R Haque, Arup Ratan Pal, and Devasish Chowdhury ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 2017, 5(12), 11645-11651 (I.F 6.140)
- Chiral carbon dots and their effect on the optical properties of photosensitizers Manash Jyoti Deka and Devasish Chowdhury, RSC Adv., 2017, 7, 53057. (I.F. 3.108).
- One-Pot Synthesis of Carbon Nanodots in an Organic Medium with Aggregation-Induced Emission Enhancement (AIEE): A Rationale for“Enzyme-Free” Detection of Cholesterol, Neelam Gogoi,Devesh S. Agarwal,Aishwarya Sehgal, Devasish Chowdhury, and Rajeev Sakhuja, ACS Omega, 2017, 2, 3816−3827.
- CVD Assisted Hydrophobic Graphene Quantum Dots:Fluorescence Sensor for Aromatic Amino Acids, Manash Jyoti Deka and Devasish Chowdhury, ChemistrySelect 2017, 2, 1999 – 2005 (I.F 1.505)
- Chitosan-iron oxide coated graphene oxide nanocomposite hydrogel: A robust and soft antimicrobial bio- film. Konwar, Achyut; Kalita, Sanjeeb; Kotoky, Jibon; Chowdhury, Devasish, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2016), Ahead of Print. (I.F 7.145)
- Ethylene diamine mediated Cobalt nanoparticle studded graphene oxide quantum dots with tunable photoluminescence properties. Baruah Upama; Chowdhury Devasish, RSC Advances, 2016, DOI: 10.1039/C6RA12686C.(I.F. 3.289).
- Paper Carbon dots based fluorescence sensor for distinction of organic and inorganic sulphur in analytes Majumdar, Sristi; Baruah, Upama; Majumdar, Gitanjali; Thakur, Debajit; Chowdhury, Devasish, RSC Adv, 2016, 6, 57327. (I.F. 3.289).
- Sulphonated Carbon Dots-Chitosan hybrid hydrogel nanocomposite as an efficient ion-exchange film for Ca2+ and Mg2+ removal, Baruah Upama; Chowdhury Devasish, Nanoscale 2016, 8. 8542. (I.F 7.76).
- Functionalized graphene oxide quantum dot-PVA hydrogel: a colorimetric sensor for Fe(2+), Co(2+) and Cu(2+) ions, Baruah Upama; Chowdhury Devasish, Nanotechnology 2016, 27(14), 145501. (I.F 3.573).
- Tuning Electrical Properties of Graphene with Different π-Stacking Organic Molecules, Manash Jyoti Deka and Devasish Chowdhury, 2016, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2016, 120(7), 4121-4129 (I.F 4.509)
- Fragmentation of Supported Gold Nanoparticles @ Agarose Film by Thiols and the Role of their Synergy in Efficient Catalysis, Gogoi, Neelam; Chowdhury, Devasish, RSC Adv. 2015, 5(123), 101860-101870. (I.F. 3.289).
- Instant Detection of Picric Acid Vapor by Developing Layer by Layer Polymer Detectors and an Electronic Prototype, Neelotpal Sen Sarma, Bedanta Gogoi, Niloy Paul, Devasish Chowdhury, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2015, 3(42), 11081-11089 (I.F 5.066).
- Magnetic alginate-Fe3O4 hydrogel fiber capable of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride adsorption/separation in aqueous solution, Achyut Konwar, Ansumi Gogoi, Devasish Chowdhury RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 81573-81582. (I.F. 3.289).
- Electrical conductivity of graphene and functionalized graphene: Role of lateral dimension of graphene sheet, Manash J. Deka and Devasish Chowdhury, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2015, 163, 236-244 (I.F. 2.101).
- Property relationship of Alginate and Alginate-carbon dot nanocomposite with bivalent and trivalent cross-linker ions. Achyut Konwarand Devasish Chowdhury, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 62864. (I.F. 3.289).
- Protecting role of AuNP conjugated insulin on piamater and granular region of mice brain damaged by PTZ induced seizure, Pankaj Kalita, Manash Barthakur, Neelam Gogoi, Devasish Chowdhury, International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences,2015, 6(2), 271-278.
- Carbon Dots rooted Agarose hydrogel hybrid platform for optical detection and separation of heavy metal ions, Neelam Gogoi, Mayuri Barooah, Gitanjali Majumdar and Devasish Chowdhury, ACS, Applied Material & Interface, 2015, 7, 3058-3067. (I.F 7.145).
- Konwar, Achyut, Kandimalla, Raghuram, Kalita, Sanjeev & Chowdhury, Devasish, Hybrid Cotton Patch and A method for its Fabrication. Patent Application No. 201731001972. (2017).
- Sarma, Neelotpal Sen; Chowdhury, Devasish; Paul, Niloy; Gogoi, Bedanta, Polymer based sensor device for sensing nitroaromatic compounds, Indian Pat. Appl. (2016), IN 2014DE03613 A 20160831.
- Chowdhury, Devasish; Paul, Anumita; Chattopadhyay, Arun, Colored nanolithography on glass and plastic substrates PCT Int. Appl. 2004, 15 pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2004045858 A1 20040603 CAN 141:14476 AN 2004:453113 CAPLUS.
Project Completed as Principal Investigator
- Project entitled “Surface self-assembly @ constructive nanolithography enroute to polyaniline based nano devices” by Department of Science and Technology under SERC Fast Track Project Grant No.: SR/FTP/CS-45/2007. ( 2008 – 2011)
- Project entitled “Stimuli Responsive Polymeric surfaces” by CSIR, New Delhi Project Grant No. 01(2488)/11/EMR-II (2011-2014)
Project Completed as Co-Principal Investigator
- Project entitled “Development of Polymer Based Sensors”, by DeitY(2010-14).
Ongoing Project as Principal Investigator
- Project entitled “Investigating physico-chemical properties of new hybrid carbon nanomaterials and its applications as sensors” by SERB, New Delhi Project Grant No. SB/S1/PC-69/2012 (2013-2016).
- Project entitled “Physico-chemical study of carbon dots and its applications as sensors” by BRNS, Mumbai Project Grant No. 34/14/20/2014-BRNS. (2014-2017).
Project (Just sanctioned) as Principal Investigator
- Project entitled “Development of Nanoparticle or Microparticle Adjuvanted Subunit Oral Vaccine against Poultry Salmonellosis” DBT under Twinning Program 2015-16.
- Sristi Mazumdar, SRF (Submitted)
- Jayanta Sarmah Boruah, SRF
- Jahnabi Gogoi, SRF
- Ankita Deb, SRF
- Kabyashree Phukan, CSIR-JRF
- Sazzadur Rahman, JRF (Inspire)
- Dr. Robinson Jose, DBT-RA
Dr. Neelam Gogoi, Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and ChemistryChinese Academy of Sciences
- Dr. Upama Baruah, I-PDF at IIT Guwahati
- Dr.Achyut Konwar,Post- Doctoral Fellow, School of Material Science and Engineering
TIANJIN POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY, CHINA
Dr. Manash Deka, Assistant Professor, B.P. Chailiha College, Kamrup, Assam
My group is looking for Candidates who have qualified CSIR-NET for direct entry into Ph.D program. They can send their CV to devasish[at]iasst[dot]gov[dot]in