Dr. Suman K Samanta
Natural compounds have exerted promising outcomes in different diseases management for decades. Bioactive guided characterization of these compounds provided several lead molecules, which are subsequently used in the blueprint of drug development in different metabolic disorder. My current research interest focus on the molecular characterization of novel antidiabetic and chemopreventive agents and their inert mechanistic action through the cutting-edge molecular biology techniques. Cellular and transgenic animal models are generally used to screen the potentiality of the compounds isolated from eatable and medicinal plants.
- BSc in Chemistry, Burdwan University, 2002-2005
- MSc in Organic Chemistry, Ramakrishna Mission Residential College, University of Calcutta, 2005-2007
- PhD in Biochemistry, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology/University of Calcutta, 2008-2013.
- Research Associate, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 2013-2104.
- Postdoctoral Associate, University of Pittsburgh, USA, 2014-2016.
- Scientist C, 2017-till.
- Mandal C, Pal BC, Bhattacharya K, Samanta SK et al. Process for the isolation of organic compounds useful for the treatment of cancer. US patent. Pub No. US2013/0065932A1; 2013.
- Pal BC, Samanta SK et al. Two main component molecules: Mahanine and Mahanimbine (Dehydroxy-Mahanine) from Murraya koenigii for the treat in glioblastoma and cervical carcinoma and Mahanimbine exhibits broad spectrum of anti-cancer. Indian Patent, Application No. 690/DEL/2011.
- Samanta SK, et al. Diseases Subtype Irrespective Breast Cancer Regulation Through Dietary Phytochemical Mahanine. . Indian Patent, Application No. 2018310300919.
- Devi R, Dutta KN, Choudhuri P, Samanta SK, et al. Rice bran oil from the scented rice (Joha) variety rich in ω−6 and ω−3 fatty acid, efficacious to diabetes. Indian Patent, Application No. 201831035549.
- Bharadwaj S, Kashyap B, Barge S, Deka B, Kaushik A, Kandimalla R, Dutta PP, Gogoi B, Goel R, Yashwant AK, Samanta SK, et al. A Herbal Composition from Premna Herbacea, useful for prevention of Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes and a method for its Extraction. Application No. 201831046382.
- Barge SR, Kashyp B, Deka B, Bharadwaj S, Saikia S, Kandimalla R, Dutta PP, Hazarika A, Ghosh A, Samanta SK, et al. A herbal extract from Lysimachia candida for treatment of obesity and related hyperglycemia and a method for its extraction. Application No. 201931019887.
Research Articles published:
- Suman K Samanta, Anuradha Sehrawat, Su-Hyeong Kim, Eun-Ryeong Hahm, Yongli Shuai, Ruchi Roy, Subrata K Pore, Krishna B Singh, Susan M Christner, Jan H Beumer, Nancy E Davidson, Shivendra V Singh. Disease Subtype- Independent Biomarkers of Breast Cancer Chemoprevention by Ayurvedic Medicine Component Withaferin A. JNCI; 2016, 109(6), djw293; ISSN: 0027-8874 [Impact Factor: 12.6].
- Suman K Samanta, Devawati Dutta, Sarita Roy, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Sayantani Sarkar, Anjan K Dasgupta, Bikas C Pal, Chhabinath Mandal, Chitra Mandal. Mahanine, a DNA minor groove binding agent exerts cellular cytotoxicity with involvement of C-7-OH and -NH functional groups. J Med Chem, 2013, 56, 5709-5721. ISSN: 0022-2623 [Impact Factor: 5.48].
- Suman K Samanta, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Chitra Mandal, Bikas Chandra Pal. Identification and quantification of the active component quercetin 3-O-rutinoside from Barringtonia racemosa, targets mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2010; 12: 639-48. ISSN: 1028-6020 [Impact Factor: 0.71].
- Suman K Samanta*, Raghuram Kandimalla, Bhaskarjyoti Gogoi, Krishna Nayani Dutta, Paramita Choudhury, Prashanta Kumar Deb, Rajlakshmi Devi, Bikas Chandra Pal, Narayan Chandra Talukdar. Phytochemical Portfolio and Anticancer Activity of Murraya koenigii and its Primary Active Component, Mahanine. Pharmacological Research. 2018; 129:227-236. ISSN: 1043-6618 [Impact Factor: 5.57].
- Suman K. Samanta, Joomin Lee, Eun-Ryeong Hahm, and Shivendra V. Singh. Peptidyl Prolyl Cis/Trans Isomerase Pin1 Regulates Withaferin A-Mediated Cell Cycle Arrest in Human Breast Cancer Cells. Molecular Carcinogenesis. 2018; 57(7):936-946. ISSN: 0899-1987 [Impact Factor: 3.4]
- Momita Das, Raghuram Kandimalla, Bhaskarjyoti Gogoi, Krishna Nayani Dutta, Paramita Choudhury, Rajlakshmi Devi, Partha Pratim Dutta, Narayan Chandra Talukdar, Suman Kumar Samanta*. Mahanine, A dietary phytochemical, represses mammary tumor burden in rat and inhibits subtype regardless breast cancer progression through suppressing self-renewal of breast cancer stem cells. Pharmacological Res, 146, 104330. [Impact Factor: 5.57]
- Anuradha Sehrawat, Ruchi Roy, Subrata K Pore, Eun-Ryeong Hahm, Suman K Samanta, Krishna B Singh, Su-Hyeong Kim, Kamayani Singh, Shivendra V Singh. Mitochondrial Dysfunction in cancer chemoprevention by phytochemicals from dietary and medicinal plants. Seminars in Cancer Biology. 2017 ;47:147; ISSN: 1044-579X [Impact Factor: 10.2].
- Sayantani Sarkar, Devawati Dutta, Suman K Samanta, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Bikas Chandra Pal, Jinping Li, Kaustubh Datta, Chhabinath Mandal, Chitra Mandal. Oxidative inhibition of Hsp90 disrupts the super-chaperone complex and attenuates pancreatic adenocarcinoma in vitro and in vivo. Int J Cancer 2013; 132:695-706. ISSN: 0020-7136 [Impact Factor: 5.01]
- Kaushik Bhattacharya, Suman K Samanta, Rakshamani Tripathi, Asish Mallick, Sarmila Chandra, Bikas C Pal, Chandrima Shaha, Chitra Mandal. Apoptotic effects of mahanine on human leukemic cells are mediated through crosstalk between Apo-1/Fas signaling and the Bid protein and via mitochondrial pathways. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010; 79: 361-72. ISSN: 0006-2952 [Impact Factor: 4.89]
- Sumana Mallick, Papiya Ghosh, Suman K Samanta, Sumita Kinra, Bikas C Pal, Aparna Gomes, Joseph R Vedasiromoni. Corchorusin-D, A saikosaponin-like compound isolated from Corchorus acutangulus Lam., targets mitochondrial apoptotic pathways in leukemic cell lines (HL-60 and U937). Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2010; 66(4):709-19. ISSN: 0344-5704 [Impact Factor: 2.76]
- Ranjita Das, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Sayantani Sarkar, Suman K Samanta, Bikas C Pal, Chitra Mandal. Mahanine synergistically enhances cytotoxicity of 5- fluorouracil through ROS-mediated activation of PTEN and p53/p73 in colon carcinoma. Apoptosis 2014; 19(1):149-64. ISSN: 1360-8185 [Impact Factor: 3.69]
- Ranjita Das, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Suman K Samanta, Bikas C Pal, Chitra Mandal. Improved chemosensitivity in cervical cancer to cisplatin: Synergistic activity of mahanine through STAT3 inhibition. Cancer letters, 2014; 351 (1), 81- 90. ISSN: 0304-3835. [Impact Factor: 5.62]
- Kaushik Bhattacharya, Arup K Bag, Rakshamani Tripathi, Suman K Samanta, Bikas C Pal, Chandrima Shaha, Chitra Mandal. Mahanine, a novel mitochondrial complex-III inhibitor induces G0/G1 arrest through redox alteration-mediated DNA damage response and regresses glioblastoma multiforme. Am J Cancer Res, 2014; 4(6):629-4. ISSN: 2156-6976 [Impact Factor: 4.17]
- Kim SH, Hahm ER, Arlotti JA, Samanta SK, Moura MB, Thorne SH, Shuai Y, Anderson CJ, White AG, Lokshin A, Lee J, Singh SV. Withaferin A inhibits in vivo growth of breast cancer cells accelerated by Notch2 knockdown. Breast Cans Res & Treat 2016; 157 ((1)), 41-54. ISSN: 0167-6806 [Impact Factor: 3.63].
- Sarkar Bhattacharya S, Mandal C, Albiez RS, Samanta SK, Mandal C. Mahanine drives pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells into endoplasmic reticular stress-mediated apoptosis through modulating sialylation process and Ca2+-signaling. Sci Rep. 2018; 2;8(1):3911. ISSN: 2045-2322. [Impact Factor: 4.01].
- Sehrawat A, Samanta SK, Hahm ER, Croix CS, Watkins S, Singh SV. Withaferin A-mediated apoptosis in breast cancer cells is associated with alterations in mitochondrial dynamics. Mitochondrion, 2019; 47, 282-293. ISSN: 1567-7249 [Impact Factor: 3.45].
- Majumder M, Debnath S, Gajbhiye R, Saikia R, Gogoi B, Samanta SK, Das D, Biswas K, Jaisankar P, Mukhopadhyay R. Ricinus communis L. fruit extract inhibits migration/invasion, induces apoptosis in breast cancer cells and arrests tumor progression in vivo. Sci Rep. 2019; [In Press]. ISSN: 2045-2322. [Impact Factor: 4.01].
- Scientific Evidence for Anticancer Effects of Withania somnifera and Its Primary Bioactive Component Withaferin A. Science of Ashwagandha: Preventive and Therapeutic Potentials. http://www.springer.com/in/book.
Google Scholar link:
To be updated…
To be updated…
To be updated…