Dr. Subir Biswas
Statement of Research:
My primary research interest is in the field of experimental plasma physics. During my postdoc in the plasma physics group of Weizmann Institute of Science (WIS), Israel, I worked on the spectroscopic diagnostics of pulse power plasmas. Whereas in my PhD at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, India, a linear plasma device, namely, Magnetized Plasma Linear Experimental (MaPLE) device  has been designed and developed with the specific intention for studying plasma waves-instabilities in controlled manner and few wave-experiments were performed there .
In my research at the WIS, I have studied two high density plasma (HDP) systems employing advanced spectroscopic diagnostics: i) a relativistic self-focusing electron beam diode of Sandia National Laboratories (SNL), USA [3, 4], a most powerful diode in the world and ii) a pulsed power system of magnetized Z-pinched configuration at WIS. In the later stage of my postdoc I worked on the diagnostics of inertial confinement fusion (ICF) imploding plasma experiments at the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the largest and most powerful laser facility in the world.
In future, I want to continue my research career in the experimental plasma physics at IASST.
- R. Pal, S. Biswas and et al, Rev. Sci, Instrum 81, 073507 (2010).
- S Biswas et al, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 115004 (2013).
- S Biswas, M D Johnston et al, Phys. Plasmas 25, 113102 (2018).
- D. Hahn, N. Bruner, M. D. Johnston, and et al., IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 38, 2652 (2010).
- MSc, Kalyani University, Kalyani, Nadia, WB; Ranked first in first class.
- PhD, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata, WB.
- Postdoc, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel (from Nov. 2014 – Jan. 2019)
Assistant Professor II, IASST, Guwahati (from Feb. 2019 to till date)
Academic awards and recognition
- Recipient of “Senior Post-doc Fellowship” of Weizmann Institute of Science in recognition of the academic excellence and scientific accomplishments.
- Awardee of the “Parvez Guzdar Young Scientist Award” of Plasma Science Society of India (PSSI) for the year 2016 for the outstanding work in the area of “basic experimental plasma physics”.
- Recipient of the Post-Doctoral fellowship of Israel’s Council for Higher Education Planning and Budgeting Committee (PBC) for outstanding student and join at Weizmann Institute of Science as Post-doctoral fellow.
- Ranked 1st in first class in M.Sc.(Physics), Kalyani University.
- Awardee of the “Siddharth Sengupta Memorial Endowment Bronze Medal” for Ranking 1st in 1st class in M. Sc.
- Referee of few International Journals.
- Lifetime Member of “Plasma Science Society of India (PSSI)” [Membership number LM-837].
- Student member of “American Physical Society (APS)”, USA from 2011-2013.
- S Biswas, E. Stambulchik, R. Doron, Y. Maron, M. D. Johnston, S. G. Patel, M. L. Kiefer, E. Waisman and M. E. Cuneo, “Electric-field Distribution near the Anode Surface of a Relativistic Self-Focusing Electron Pinched diode”, Phys. Rev. E [under review].
- S Biswas, M. D. Johnston, R. Doron, D. Mikitchuk, Y. Maron, S. G. Patel, M. L. Kiefer and M. E. Cuneo, “Shielding of the Azimuthal Magnetic Field by the Anode Plasma in a Relativistic Self-Magnetic-Pinch Diode”, Phys. Plasmas 25, 113102 (2018).
- G. Patel, M. D. Johnston, T. J. Webb, N. L. Bennett, D. R. Welch, R. M. Gilgenbach, M. E. Cuneo, M. L. Kiefer, J. J. Leckbee, M. G. Mazarakis, D. J. Muron, T. J. Renk, S. C. Simpson, R. Doron, S. Biswas, D. Mikitchuk and Y. Maron, “Zeeman Spectroscopy as a Method for Determining the Magnetic Field Distribution in Self Magnetic Pinch Diodes”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 89, 10D123 (2018).
- Satyajit Chowdhury, Subir Biswas, Nikhil Chakrabarti, and Rabindranath Pal, “Experimental Observation of Electron-Acoustic Wave Propagation in Laboratory Plasma”, Physics of Plasmas 24, 062111 (2017).
- Subir Biswas, Satyajit Chowdhury, Yaswanth Palivela and Rabindranath Pal, “Effect of fast drifting electrons on electron temperature measurement with a triple Langmuir probe”, Journal of Applied Physics 118, 063302 (2015).
- Subir Biswas, Satyajit Chowdhury, Abhik Milan Pal, Shashwat Bhattacharya, Subhasis Basu, Monobir Chattopadhyay, Nikhil Chakrabarti and Rabindranath Pal, “The MaPLE Device: A Linear Machine for Laboratory Studies of Magnetized Plasma Physics Phenomena”, Journal of Plasma Physics 81, 345810205 (2015).
- Abhik Milan Pal, Shashwat Bhattacharya, Subir Biswas, Subhasis Basu, and Rabindranath Pal, “A novel method of Sensing Temperatures of Magnet Coils of SINP-MaPLE Plasma Device”, Journal of Instrumentation 9, T03001 (2014).
- Subir Biswas, Debjyoti Basu, Rabindranath Pal and Nikhil Chakrabarti, “Selective Excitation of Low Frequency Drift Waves by Density Modulation and Parametric Excitation of Higher Frequency Mode”, Physical Review Letters 111, 115004 (2013).
- Subir Biswas, N. S. Iyengar and Rabindranath Pal, “Investigation of long-range temporal correlation in electron cyclotron resonance produced linear magnetized plasma of the MaPLE device”, Physics of Plasmas 19, 032310 (2012).
- Subir Biswas, Monobir Chattopadhyay and Rabindranath Pal, “Magnetic shield for turbomolecular pump of the Magnetized Plasma Linear Experimental Device at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 013506 (2011).
- Pal, S. Biswas, S. Basu, M. Chattopadhyay, D. Basu and M. Chaudhuri, “The MaPLE Device of Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics: Construction and its Plasma Aspects”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 81, 073507 (2010).
Looking for highly motivated PhD students for performing research in Experimental Plasma Physics. Interested candidates can send their CV in the following email: subir[dot]phy[at]gmail[dot]com or subirb[at]iasst[dot]gov[dot]in
Looking for highly motivated PhD students for performing research in Experimental Plasma Physics. Interested candidates can send their CV in the following emails: subir[dot]phy[at]gmail[dot]com or subirb[at]iasst[dot]gov[dot]in
Student who want to pursue their research career in plasma physics in future can contact to the following email: subir[dot]phy[at]gmail[dot]com or subirb[at]iasst[dot]gov[dot]in