Dr. Jagat Borah
- Natural Medicinal Chemistry, Diabetes and related metabolic syndrome.
- Work is focused on translational research towards the development of phytopharmaceutical drug and/or lead molecules and/or IND from ethno-medicinal plants for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus type 2 and related syndrome.
Extraction, isolation and structure elucidation of pure molecules from natural sources by using different chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques, qualitative and quantitative analysis of natural products by HPLC, preparation of enriched and standardized fraction based on marker compounds, as well as interpretation of NMR spectra (1H, 13C, HSQC, COSY, HMBC, NOESY etc), LC-MS/MS, GC-MS, FTIR for structure elucidation of small molecules. In vitro and in vivo studies for development of anti-diabetic molecules / phytopharmaceuticals.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York City, USA (2006-2008).
- Ph.D. from CSIR NEIST Jothat, Assam (2006)
- M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry) from Dibrugarh University, Assam (2001)
- B.Sc. (Chemistry Hons.) from Govt. Science College, Jorhat, Assam (1998)
- Associate Professor II, Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST), Guwahati, Assam, (October 2018 to till date).
- Principal Scientist, CSIR-North East Institute of Science and Technology, Jorhat, Assam (CSIR-NEIST) (March 2016 to October 2018).
- Scientist-C, Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development (IBSD), Takyelpat, Imphal, Manipur (October 2012 – March 2016)
- Principal Scientist (R&D), Phyto Biotech Pvt. Ltd. Salt Lake City, Kolkata, West Bengal (Jan. 2012- Sep. 2012)
- Sr.Research Scientist, Guwahati Biotech Park Incubation Centre, Technology Complex: IIT Guwahati, Assam (Jan 2009 – Dec. 2011)
- Post-doctoral Research Associate at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York City, USA (Nov. 2006 – Nov. 2008)
- Research Scientist, Chemgen Pharam Int. Pvt. Ltd., Salt Lake City, Kolkata, West Bengal (Aug. 2005 – Sep. 2006)
Corresponding and First Author:
- Yunush Sheikh, Maibam Beebina Chanu, Gopinath Mondal, Prasenjit Manna, Asamanja Chattoraj, Dibakar Chandra Deka, Narayan Chandra Talukdar and Jagat Chandra Borah (2019). Procyanidin A2, an anti-diabetic condensed tannin extracted from Wendlandia glabrata, reduces elevated G-6-Pase and mRNA levels in diabetic mice and increases glucose uptake in CC1 hepatocytes and C1C12 myoblast cells. RSC Adv., 9, 17211
- Sheikh, Y., Chanu, M. B., Talukdar, N.C., Deka, D., Borah, J.C. In vitro and in vivo anti-diabetic and hepatoprotective effects of edible pods of Parkia roxburghii and quantification of the active constituent by HPLC-PDA. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2016, 191, 21-28. PMID: 27282664
- Laisharm, S., Sheikh, Y., Moirangthem, D.S., Deb, L., Pal, B.C., Talukdar, N.C., Borah, J.C. Anti-diabetic molecules from Cycas pectinata Griff. traditionally used by the Maiba-Maibi. Phytomedicine. 2015, 22, 23-26. PMID: 25636866.
- Sheikh, Y., Chanu, M. B., Biswas, D., Laisharm, S., Deb, L., Talukdar, N.C., Borah, J.C. Anti-diabetic potential of selected ethnomedicinal plants of North East India. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2015, 171, 37-41. PMID: 26023028.
- Jagat C Borah. Shikimic acid: a highly prospective molecule in pharmaceutical industry. Current Science. 2015, 109, 1672-1679.
- Jagat Borah, Shiraz Mujtaba, Ioannis Karakikes, Lei Zeng, Michaela Muller, Roger J. Hajjar, & Ming-Ming Zhou (2011). A Small Molecule Binding to the Co-activator CREB- Binding Protein Blocks Apoptosis in Ischemic Cardiomyocytes. Chemistry & Biology. 2011, 18, 531-541. PMID: 21513889
- Borah, J. C.; Boruwa, J.; Barua, N. C. Review Article: “Synthesis of the C-13 Side Chain of Taxol”. Current Organic Synthesis. 2007, 4, 175-199.
- Borah, J. C., Boruwa, J., Barua, N. C. Stereoselective total synthesis of (+)-Sedamine. Letters In Organic Chemistry. 2006, 3, 140-142.
- Borah, J. C., Gogoi, S., Boruwa, J., Barua, N. C. LaCl3.7H2O Promoted Regioselective Ring Opening of Epoxides Using NaNO2 in Ether-Water System: A Facile Synthesis of 2- nitroalcohols. Synthetic Communication. 2005, 35, 873 – 878.
- Borah, J. C., Gogoi, S., Boruwa, J., Kalita, B., Barua, N. C. A highly efficient synthesis of the C-13 side-chain of taxol using Shibasaki’s asymmetric Henry Reaction. Tetrahedron Letters. 2004, 45, 3689-3691.
Co-author: Phytochemistry & structure elucidation
- Devi, S.I., Lotjem, H., Devi, E.J., Potshangbam, M., Ngashangva, N., Borah, J., Sahoo, D., Sharma, C. Bio-mining the forest ecosystem of North East India for identification of antimicrobial metabolites from fungi through submerged fermentation. Bioresource Technology. 2017, 241, 1168-1172 PMID: 28578806
- L. Surbala, M. D. Singh, J. C. Borah, M. C. Kalita, N. C. Talukdar. Chrysin rich Scutellaria discolour Colebr. Induces cervical cancer cell death via induction of arrest and caspase dependent apoptosis. Life Sciences. 2015, 143, 105-113. PMID: 26541229.
- D. Singh, L. Surbala, V.S Rana, J. C. Borah, N. C. Talukdar. Essential oil of Cephalotaxus griffithii needle inhibits proliferation and migration of human cervical cancer cells: involvement of mitochondria-initiated and death receptor-mediated apoptosis pathways. Natural Product Research. 2015, 29, 1161-1165. PMID: 25426576.
- D. Singh, L. Surbala, J. C. Borah, M. C. Kalita, N. C. Talukdar. Cephalotaxus griffithii Hook.f. needle extract induces cell cycle arrest, apoptosis and suppression of hTERT and hTR expression on human breast cancer cells. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014, 14:305. PMID: 25135691.
- M. D. Singh, J. C. Borah, L. Surbala, M. C. Kalita, N. C. Talukdar. HPLC analysis of harringtonine and homoharringtonine in the needles of Cephalotaxus griffithii alkaloid fraction and cytotoxic activity on chronic myelogenous leukaemia K562 cell. Natural Product Research. 2014, 28 (18): 1503-6. PMID: 24787645.
Co-author: Synthetic & medicinal chemistry
- Indranirekha Saikia, Moushumi Hazarika, Sheik Yunus, Mintu Pal, Manash R Das, Jagat C Borah and Chandan Tamuly. Green synthesis of Au-Ag-In-rGO nanocomposite and its α-glucosidase and cytotoxicity effects. Material Letters. 2018, 211, 48-50.
- Buragohain, P., Surineni, N., Barua, N. C., Bhuyan, P. D., Boruah, P., Borah, J. C., Laisharm, S., Moirangthem, D.S. Synthesis of a novel series of Fluoroarene derivatives of Artemisinin as potent antifungal and anticancer agent. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letter. 2015, 25, 3338-3341. PMID: 26099535.
- Gogoi, N.; Borah, J. C.; Boruwa, J.; Barua, N. C. Lipase Catalyzed Kinetic Resolution of 2-Nitroalcohol: Total Synthesis of Taxol Side Chain and (-)-Bestatin. Letters In Organic Chemistry. 2007, 4, 234-235.
- Boruwa, J., Borah, J. C., Gogoi, S., Barua, N. C. A short asymmetric total synthesis of chloramphenicol using a selectively protected 1, 2-diol. Tetrahedron Letters. 2005, 46, 1743 – 1746.
- Boruwa, J., Borah, J. C., Kalita, B., Barua, N. C. Highly regioselective ring opening of epoxides using NaN3: a short and efficient synthesis of (-)- Cytoxazone. Tetrahedron Letters. 2004, 45, 7355-7358.
- Gogoi, S., Borah, J. C., Barua, N. C. Montmorillonite K-10 Clay as an Efficient Solid Catalyst for Chemoselective Protection of Carbonyl Compounds as Oxathiolanes with 2- mercaptoethanol. Synlett. 2004, 1592-1594.
- Boruwa, J., Kalita, B., Barua, N. C., Borah, J. C., Mazumdar, S., Thakur, D., Gogoi. Synthesis, absolute stereochemistry and molecular design of the new antifungal and antibacterial antibiotic produced by streptomyces sp.201. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2004, 14, 3571-3574. PMID: 15177476
- Inhibitors of bromodomains as modulators of gene expression
(WO 2012116170 A1; PTC/US2012/026308)
- A Biofumigant comprising 2-methyltetrahydro-3-furanone.
|Sl. No.||Title of the project||Funding agency||Duration||PI/Co-PI|
|1||Phytopharmaceutical Development of Ficus semicordata Buch.-Ham. ex Sm. as per regulatory guidelines of DCGI (No. BT/PR28069/TRM/120/192/2018).||DBT, GoI||2018-2021||PI|
|2||Chemical investigation and therapeutic evaluation for linking marker compound(s) with anti-diabetic potential of young shoots of Wendlandia glabrata D.C. and fruits of Phoebe cooperiana, used by indigenous ST people of Arunachal Pradesh. (No. BT/PR24712/NER/95/828/2017).||DBT, GoI||2018-2021||PI|
|3||Integrating herbal medicine of NER with contemporary approaches to develop therapeutic strategies for metabolic syndrome (DBT-NER/Health/42/2013).||DBT, GoI||2016-2019||PI|
|4||Sustainable utilisation of medicinal, aromatic economic plants: Exploration & utilisation of medicinal economic plants of Arunachal Pradesh through development of agro-technology and chemical investigation.||CSIR-NEIST Jorhat||2012 to 2017||PI|
|5||Plant-derived botanicals from herbs/shrubs of Indo-Burma biodiversity hotspot for control of stored grain insect pests. (No.BT/428/NE/TBP/2013).||DBT, GoI||2015-2018||Co-PI|
|6||National repository for Cyanobacteria and Microgreen algae (Freshwater)(No.BT/PR11863/PBD/26/424/2014)||DBT, GoI||2015-2018||Co-PI|
|7||Screening and Characterization of fresh water cyanobacterial repository for carotenoids and vitamin B-12 for value additions and process optimization(BT/PR11863/PBD/26/424/2014).||DBT, GoI||2015-2018||Co-PI|
To be updated….
- CSIR-JRF/UGC-JRF/DST-INSPIRE Fellowship recipient candidates are encouraged to apply for Ph.D.
- Post graduate/graduate students may contact for summer internship/training.
- Post graduate students may contact for dissertation work.
- Interested Research Scholars/ Students may contact for hands on training on HPLC and LC-MSMS.